Letter from Satu from Bangladesh to Sadiya in UK

  

Sender: Sarifa islam satu

Senders Location: Rajshahi, Bangladesh

Receiver: Sadiya Taher

Receiver Location: Glasgow, UK

Satu wrote this letter to Sadiya sometime during February of 2023 sharing her experience of  visiting "Shat Gombuj Mashjid" in Bagerhat, Bangladesh





Translation: 

Dear Friend,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Sarifa Islam Satu. Recently I graduated from the University of Rajshahi. I am originally from Khulna but currently living in Rajshahi for the last six years.

Today, I wish to share a memorable experience I had at the Shat Gombuj Masjid (Sixty Dome Mosque) in 2010. Although I had visited the mosque several times before, this particular visit stands out in my memory.

My youngest uncle from my mother's side was visiting us and expressed a desire to see the mosque. My father thought it would be a perfect opportunity to make it a family trip since we had none for a while. So, our whole family set off for Bagerhat from Khulna early in the morning.

After about half an hour, we arrived at the mosque. My memory of that day is hazy since it was so long ago. However, I remember such visits where my father would feed chickens to two crocodiles named, Kala and Dhola Pahar - belonging to the belated Khan Jahan Ali (RH)-the founder of the mosque.

The mosque was built in the 1500s & has numerous Folktales associated with it. According to many, it was constructed by jinns while others claim that Khan Jahan Ali came floating on stones used to build it. Another group believes these stones to be from a palace that existed during that period.

Despite its name, the mosque has more than sixty domes. Perhaps because of its seven rows of domes, it was called " Seven Domes Mosque" before it became known as "Sixty Dome Mosque"(seven and sixty sound similar in Bangla). The mosque served as the court of Khan Jahan Ali as well. It features ten elaborate mihrabs with eleven doors on its east wall and seven large doors each on its north and south walls.

When I was a little kid, we went to this mosque and bathed in the lake beside it. I remember my mother forcing me to dive into this lake several times (because I was afraid to have a bath in this lake). As my mom was bathing me in this lake, a crocodile swam dangerously close to me at arm's length. as soon as I saw it coming, I cried out in fear while my mom assured me that he would do nothing as they do not eat humans. People in charge of this place say that if you wish upon something when visiting, that will come true. However, after saying so, they would ask for some money. My father used to give them money too. But as he learned about their drug use, he stopped giving them money. In 2010, it was the first time I touched one of those crocodiles. This experience at 12 was something awesome. I used to boast about it to my friends saying, "I touched a crocodile". That was the first time I went to a museum as well. There was a museum beside this mosque & I always had a fascination with antique stuff. After this visit, it turned into a passion. Do you have any such wholesome experiences? If you do then I would love to hear about that. I hope to learn something new from you.

Best regards, 

Sarifa Islam Satu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd Letter from Aryan from UK to Mahi in Bangladesh

Second letter from mahi from Bangladesh to Aryan in UK

Letter from Aryan from UK to Mahi in Bangladesh