Letter from Rehaan from UK to Nabil in Bangladesh

Sender: Rehaan Syed

Senders Location: Glasgow, UK 

Receiver: Nabil Hasan

Receiver Location: Rajshahi, Bangladesh



Hello Nabil,

My name is Rehaan, I am currently in my 5th year of high school working towards achieving my higher (you’ll know them as SSC’s) and hopefully getting the grades to be accepted into university, although I’ve also applied to a couple graduate apprenticeships, which are like 4 year courses where you are paid to work and also go to university and work towards your degree at the same time. Aside from academics, I enjoy listening to music, playing the drums and occasionally going out to eat or shop with friends.

Anyway, that’s enough about me, I wanted to talk to you a bit about different regions in scotland, and the different stereotypes/preconceptions associated with them as I’m curious to know if they have similar regional biases in Bangladesh.

For example, here in Scotland you can drive an hour in any direction and be greeted with a completely different accent along with a whole array of phrases and expressions you may have never heard before and are not too sure about the meaning of. If someone here is soft-spoken and has a habit of adding the word “eh” at the end of their sentences, it is an immediate tell that they are from Edinburgh or one of the surrounding towns whereas the Glaswegian accent is much harsher, although it was recently voted one of the UK’s friendliest-sounding accents.

I wonder, do accents and vocabulary vary much from city to city in Bangladesh? And if so what kind of region-specific words are the most well known as interesting and/or funny. In Scotland we also have a number stereotypes and running jokes about each city, the most infamous of which involving people from Aberdeen (I can’t say it here since it’s pretty rude).

Is Bangladesh the same? Perhaps people in one part of the country adore a food that the rest of you can’t stomach, let me know if there is! I find these long-running inside jokes and their origins very interesting.

I know you like rickshaw art and photography, would love for you send me a picture of a landmark from your home town that can be recognised across the country, or some cool rickshaw art you find on the street.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best wishes,

Rehaan from Glasgow

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd Letter from Aryan from UK to Mahi in Bangladesh

Second letter from mahi from Bangladesh to Aryan in UK

Letter from Aryan from UK to Mahi in Bangladesh