Letter from Maesha from Bangladesh to Tazra in UK

                                                                  Sender: Maesha Marium

Senders Location: Rajshahi, Bangladesh


Receiver: Tazra Khan

Receiver Location: Glasgow, UK








Translation:


21.02.2023

Rajshahi

Dear Pen-friend,

I've been planning to write to you as a part of the 'letter-writing' activity of the OSCH project for a while now, but I just couldn't find the time. I wanted to write to you about an archeological site in my hometown, Rajshahi. But I couldn't visit the place due to being extremely busy with my studies and music. So I thought, why not tell you about one of my favorite events since childhood? It also happens to be a cultural heritage of this city. It's Rother Mela, which loosely translates to the 'chariot carnival'. It's a fair that is hosted every year during the Hindu festival Rothojatra of Jagannath. Jagannath is a Hindu god who does not have any arms or legs and travels on a chariot. The chariot is dragged from one end of the city to the other, at the beginning of the festival, and then dragged back to its place at the end of it. The mela or fair is held in the week between the two journeys. You can say that Jagannath is a mythological portrayal of differently abled individuals in Hindu mythology.

The fair or carnival is a site to see. Here you'll find clothes, utensils, wooden furniture, toys made of clay and locally found resources, delicious snacks and street foods, and whatnot! The unique thing about this fair that makes it stand out among all other similar events is that the goods sold here are mostly made by local craftsmen and artisans, from organic materials, rather than imported or factory-made products.  At least that's how it used to be when I visited the place as a kid, clutching my father's finger in my palm to avoid getting lost in the crowd. Although things have changed now. Plastic toys and imported steel crockeries have taken over the fair.  But old-school folks like me still seek out the old things for a whiff of nostalgia.

Another interesting fact about this fair is that although it's hosted on the occasion of a Hindu festival, businessmen and customers from all faiths gather here to trade. Here you'll find hand-knitted prayer mats, caps, perfume, and all things Muslim selling right beside clay idols of Hindu gods and goddesses. Just like the people of this place, the fair is also a harmonious hoch poch of faiths and cultures.

Hey, do you also have festivals over there where people from all walks of life gather to celebrate? Let me know, okay?

Enough of my gibber-jabber. I'm attaching some pictures of the fair that I've clicked over the years. I think they'll tell you more about the fair than my words couldn't.

Sincerely,

- Your music-loving, bookworm, traveler, doodler friend,

Maesha.

P. S. I forgot to introduce myself in the letter, hence the long rally of adjectives at the end of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2nd Letter from Aryan from UK to Mahi in Bangladesh

Second letter from mahi from Bangladesh to Aryan in UK

Letter from Aryan from UK to Mahi in Bangladesh